Joash is a pre-licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and a Certified EFT Therapist in Nashville, Tennessee. After being a consultant in the engineering field for almost a decade, Joash realized the job had a negative impact on his own marriage. He decided to make changes to pursue a healthy relationship and lifestyle and later found his passion in helping people create deeper connections than they ever knew were possible.
Joash is passionate about building deep loving relationships and an advocate for mental health services for the underserved and marginalized. Joash had traveled to Nepal, Burma, and Borneo, working with diverse ethnicity and multicultural populations. Joash’s experience working from an emphatic, unassuming stance and systemic lens; helps his clients feel safe to be authentic and connect healing to their deepest wounds and trauma.
Why work with Joash?
Joash was a seasoned counselor in Malaysia before pursuing a second Master’s and Tennessee MFT licensure. He is a clinical member of the Malaysian Marriage and Family Therapy Association (MyMFT), a lifetime member of the International Center of Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT), and a member of the AAMFT and ACA. He had served on the management board of MyMFT from 2016-2018.
Joash’s core therapeutic interventions are grounded in Attachment Theory and Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), evidence-based modalities that help people find healing in emotionally connected, safe, and secure relationships by integrating parts of self and connection with others; growing towards optimal interdependency and emotion regulation. His trauma-informed and integrated therapeutic approach are tailored to client-specific with Brainspotting, Existential Therapy, Person-centered, and Attachment Injury Repair interventions.
Joash works with:
Couples of all Relationship Stages:
Adult Individuals and Couples Struggling With:
- Attachment Injury & Dysfunction
- Family Relationships & Family-of-Origin Issues
- Intimacy & Sexual Struggles
- LGBTQ and Sexuality-related Issues
- Multicultural ans Racial Issues
- Relationships & Boundaries
- Religious and Spiritual Trauma & Abuse
Joash’s approach is grounded in emotion-focused, attachment-based modalities and integrates narrative therapy, blending existential and spiritual philosophies. Joash brings in a fresh perspective and enjoys helping individuals and relationships heal from infidelity, trauma, attachment injuries, PTSD, anxiety and sexual struggles.
Typical therapy modalities and interventions include:
- Attachment Injury Repair Model (address and repair attachment injuries)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Discernment Therapy (helping partners in relationship consider all options before they decide to terminate or work on a relationship.)
- Prepare/Enrich Pre-marital Therapy
Education & Trainings
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy/Counseling – Trevecca Nazarene University
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Alpha Omega International College (AOIC), Malaysia
- B.Eng. (Hons) Electronics (Majoring in Computer) – Multimedia University (MMU), Malaysia
- Discernment Counseling
- Emotionally Focused Therapy with Sue Johnson
- Attachment-based Interventions for Couples in Crisis
- Certified in Emotionally Focused Individuals Therapy (EFIT)
- Certified in Emotionally Focused Family Therapy (EFFT)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy Core Skills Level A & B
- Emotionally Focused Therapy Externship
Joash is from Malaysia. He is happily married to his college sweetheart Su Chen. Joash enjoys a home brewed cup of coffee, a great book, good food and good company. He secretly dreams of being a tennis pro, a full-time manga reader and sampling every food in the world.
Email our Client Care Coordinator, Jenna Currie, at Admin@TraumaTherapyNashville.com for more information or to schedule a session with Joash.
Joash’s Session Fee is $125 per clinical hour (50 minutes).