Hi, I’m Melanie!
I am the founder of Trauma Therapy of Nashville, LLC, a private practice serving clients struggling with Trauma, Women’s Issues, Relationships & Chronic Pain and Illness. We are located on Music Row in Nashville, TN.
I am also the Co-Founder and Executive Director of Integrative Therapy of Nashville, a therapy space for practitioners offering holistic, whole person therapeutic services.
My belief that our mind and body are deeply connected has helped me develop a unique approach to mental health wellness with these things in mind. I use clinically tested and evidence-based interventions such as:
- Animal Assisted Psychotherapy (AAP)
- Brainspotting (BSP)
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trauma Informed Yoga and Mindfulness Practices
With extensive training in Trauma, Brain-based therapies, Integrative Cognitive-Behavioral and Mindfulness Therapies, I work to empower individuals to overcome personal obstacles and make lasting changes!
I offer services through Trauma Therapy Intensives for individuals that live in or travel to the state of Tennessee. Intensives are targeted to meet your specific area of need for healing. The focus is on regulating the client’s nervous system (where trauma is stored) and processing trauma with brain-based, evidence-based modalities. During an intensive, sessions are typically 2 hours in length, for 4 consecutive days. This is subject to change as treatment plans are curated to the client’s specific needs and therapeutic goals.
How Do I Know If A Trauma Therapy Intensive is the Right Fit?
We are all on a continuous healing journey. Some are just starting to become aware of our inner workings and how our past experiences impact us in the present. Others have done a lot of personal work but need the space and support to focus on deeper-rooted issues. This is where a trauma therapy intensive can be really beneficial and the work I enjoy most with clients…the digging in!
Explore the following questions:
- When you experience emotions, do you shut down, becoming quickly overwhelmed or do you interact with your thoughts and emotions with coping skills and emotions flexibility?
- Do you have an awareness of how your body feels and processes emotions?
- Do you currently have a therapist or have you worked with a therapist in the past?
- Do you have an awareness of how your trauma has influenced your relationship with yourself and others? (ie understanding your boundaries, triggers & responses to them)
If you just realized that you don’t really feel your emotions or understand how your past is living in your present, don’t worry, your brain and nervous system just need a little help! It may be that where you are in your healing journey is best suited for meeting with a therapist for individual work to gain some valuable skills and insight into your story! This will best prepare you (and your brain-body) for the deeper work of a trauma therapy intensive.
If you answered those questions and feel that you are ready to dig in, reach out and schedule a consult with me!
I work with clients that typically have experienced some or all of the following:
- Acute Trauma
- Attachment Trauma
- Childhood Trauma
- Complex Trauma
- Developmental Trauma
- Historical Trauma
- Medical Trauma
- Physical Trauma
- Recent Event Trauma
- Relational Trauma
- Sexual Trauma
- Spiritual and/or Religious Trauma
Often times, clients have tried traditional talk therapies and did not see the benefits they were looking for. My clients have done the work that has created a strong foundation to their healing process, but are ready to dig deep and resolve issues that have been a struggle for many years.
Typical Issues Addressed in Sessions (this list is not comprehensive):
- Childhood Trauma
- Coping Skills
- Emotional Abuse
- Life Transitions
- Mental, Social & Physical aspects of dealing with chronic pain conditions
- Mood Related Challenges
- Relationship Dysfunction
- Sexual Abuse/Assault
- Spiritual Abuse
- Substance Use and Abuse
- Trauma Rooted in Eating Disorders
- Traumatic Grief (losing a loved one to suicide, losing someone suddenly)
Therapy Sessions With Me
My style of therapy may be a little different from your typical therapist. As my client, I view you as the expert on your life. I do not view myself as the “know it all” in the room. I have some valuable information that my trainings have afforded me, but your life experiences are just as valuable to the work we will do together. We are a team in this process.
I am straight forward, honest and do not sugar coat things, which my clients have come to value in our sessions. I often have clients tell me “I knew it was something I needed to bring up in session because I didn’t want to hear your honest answer about it!” I like to throw in humor when I can, as I think laughter is good for the soul. We have hot coffee or tea, take our shoes off and pull our feet up, if it’s that kind of day… And one of my therapy dogs will most likely be curled up at your feet or snuggled on the couch next to you! I want you to have conversations you aren’t having or have been afraid to have out in the world, in the most safe environment possible.
A Little About Me
I have lived in Nashville since 2002 and consider this home. My favorite forms of self care are watching movies that hit every emotion, painting, art/theatre/comedy shows, interior decorating, being outdoors with my dogs, catching a restorative yoga class and spending time with my friends. I do believe that having coffee with girlfriends is a hobby! I’d love to know what yours are!
Education & Trainings
- Bachelors of Science in Human Development and Family Studies from Auburn University
- Masters of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy from Trevecca Nazarene University
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional – CCTP
- Masters and Post-Masters Clinical Therapist at The Refuge Center for Counseling
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) – Level 2 Trained
- Brainspotting (BSP) Practitioner – Level 3 Trained
- Generational Brainspotting with Somatic Archeology and Epigenetics
- I-EMDR Migraine Headache/Chronic Pain Protocol
- Level 1 Trauma Sensitive Yoga
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor
Affiliations & Associations
- AAMFT: American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- TAMFT: Tennessee Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- ACA: American Counseling Association
- IATP: International Association of Trauma Professionals
- NPI: Nashville Psychotherapy Institute
- Pet Partners International
- MCPP: Music City Pet Partners
- SEBI – Southeast Brainspotting Institute
Fees & Scheduling
Melanie’s hourly rate $195. This rate is used for determining intensive fee. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org