Hi, I’m Melanie!
I am the founder of Trauma Therapy of Nashville, a private practice serving clients struggling with Trauma, Women’s Issues, Relationships & Chronic Pain and Illness. We are located on Music Row in Nashville, TN.
I am also the Co-Founder and Executive Director of Integrative Therapy of Nashville. A group of practitioners that was created on the belief that healing occurs by treating the whole person.
My belief that our mind and body are deeply connected has helped me develop a unique approach to mental health wellness with these things in mind. I use clinically tested and evidence-based interventions such as:
- Animal Assisted Psychotherapy (AAP)
- Brainspotting (BSP)
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trauma Informed Yoga and Mindfulness Practices
With extensive training in Trauma, Brain-based therapies, Integrative Cognitive-Behavioral and Mindfulness Therapies, I work to empower individuals to overcome personal obstacles and make lasting changes!
How Do I Know If This is the Right Fit?
I work with clients that typically have experienced some or all of the following:
- Acute Trauma
- Attachment Trauma
- Childhood Trauma
- Complex Trauma
- Developmental Trauma
- Historical Trauma
- Medical Trauma
- Physical Trauma
- Recent Event Trauma
- Relational Trauma
- Spiritual and/or Religious Trauma
Often times, clients have tried traditional talk therapies and did not see the benefits they were looking for. My clients have done the work that has created a strong foundation to their healing process, but are ready to dig deep and resolve issues that have been a struggle for many years.
Typical Issues Addressed in Sessions:
- Childhood Trauma
- Coping Skills
- Emotional Abuse
- Life Transitions
- Mental, Social & Physical aspects of dealing with chronic pain conditions
- Mood Related Challenges
- Relationship Dysfunction
- Sexual Abuse/Assault
- Spiritual Abuse
- Substance Use and Abuse
- Trauma Rooted in Eating Disorders
- Traumatic Grief (losing a loved one to suicide, losing someone suddenly)
Therapy Sessions With Me
My style of therapy may be a little different from your typical therapist. As my client, I view you as the expert on your life. I do not view myself as the “know it all” in the room. I have some valuable information that my trainings have afforded me, but your life experiences are just as valuable to the work we will do together. We are a team in this process.
I am straight forward, honest and do not sugar coat things, which my clients have come to value in our sessions. I often have clients tell me “I knew it was something I needed to bring up in session because I didn’t want to hear your honest answer about it!” I like to throw in humor when I can, as I think laughter is good for the soul. We have hot coffee or tea, take our shoes off and pull our feet up, if it’s that kind of day… And one of my therapy dogs will most likely be curled up at your feet or snuggled on the couch next to you! I want you to have conversations you aren’t having or have been afraid to have out in the world, in the most safe environment possible.
A Little About Me
I have lived in Nashville since 2002 and consider this home. My favorite forms of self care are watching movies that hit every emotion, painting, art/theatre/comedy shows, interior decorating, being outdoors with my dogs, catching a restorative yoga class and spending time with my friends. I do believe that having coffee with girlfriends is a hobby! I’d love to know what yours are!
Education & Trainings
- Bachelors of Science in Human Development and Family Studies from Auburn University
- Masters of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy from Trevecca Nazarene University
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional – CCTP
- Masters and Post-Masters Clinical Therapist at The Refuge Center for Counseling
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) – Level 2 Trained
- Brainspotting (BSP) Practitioner – Level 3 Trained
- Generational Brainspotting – Somatic Archeology and Epigenetics
- I-EMDR Migraine Headache/Chronic Pain Protocol
- Level 1 Trauma Sensitive Yoga
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor in Training
Affiliations & Associations
- AAMFT: American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- TAMFT: Tennessee Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- ACA: American Counseling Association
- IATP: International Association of Trauma Professionals
- NPI: Nashville Psychotherapy Institute
- NAACC: Nashville Area Association Of Christian Counselors
- Pet Partners International
- MCPP: Music City Pet Partners
- SEBI – Southeast Brainspotting Institute